Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Oh what a beautiful day!

Today was amazing! What felt like Spring crept into Washington DC with record breaking highs of 73 degrees. I wore a skirt and short sleeves outside IN JANUARY! I can't stay inside on days like this and was out the door as soon as my lunch hour hit. I love working in the district and so close to the mall. I love the people in this city. Like the guy with 2 braids for a goatee and dog paws tattooed on his left calf holding the leash of the biggest rottweiler I've ever seen, wearing a spike collar no less (the dog that is, although I wouldn't put it past the man). Or the Redskins fan on the bike who told me he liked my hair as he rode by. Or the lost family with the map and cameras asking me where the Vietnam memorial was. Or that bum panhandling with a Frisbee instead of a cup. Or that guy selling hot dogs from his cart. I REALLY like that guy. They are all faces of Washington DC and I love it. On days like this one of my favorite things in the whole wide world is to walk from my office to the Lincoln Memorial and read the Gettysburg address. It really is inspiring. The Lincoln Memorial is one of my favorite spots in DC. I love climbing the steps and feeling like Rocky. I love the view of the entire Mall from the top of those steps. They have taken the fence down around the building and I was able for the first time to walk completely around it. From the south side you can look across Memorial Bridge and see the house of Robert E Lee overlooking Arlington Cemetery. It was a new view for me and I wish I could've taken more time to appreciate it, but alas one must go back to work and leave the beautiful day outside. Jobs are totally over rated.

1 comment:

Mycket said...

I am SOOOOO jealous that you get out as much as you do during the day. I sit by a window, but I covered it up with a curtain because I was getting too much glare on my computer screen. How lame am I?