Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ode to Nelson


I love the "shuffle" button on my ipod. I hit it the other day and out of the 3448 songs I have, my ipod chose to play Nelson's Love and Affection. It brought back a lot of memories that I thought would best be expressed in a poem.

Rock on Nelson

With your leather pants and your long blonde hair,
My 12 year old heart thought you the perfect pair.
From your rocking guitars and snakeskin boots,
My love for Butt Rock took its roots.
In turquoise jewelry and studded belts,
Your awesomely bad lyrics made my heart melt.
I bought your cassette and hung up all your posters,
Then watched your career on its down hill roller coaster.
I never lost faith that you’d write just one more hit.
And I know that After the Rain you’re gonna make it!
‘Til then I must go on without your Love and Affection
It’s not you. It’s me. We’re not headed the same direction.
As you now make the rounds of select county fairs.
I may have moved on but my 12 year old heart still cares!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I love it!!! They do rock! I still listen to them when I get the chance! And you can't forget Firehouse baby!!! Rock on sista!

Mycket said...

I cried, Court. I cried. You know that my heart will always be with you on those tours of the county fairs.
We'll always have Car Karaoke.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.