Monday, February 11, 2008

Ground Hog Day


February 2nd came and went this year without my notice and/or a celebration of Ground Hog day. When I realized this I had to revisit my Ground Hog day experience of last year. Two of my good friends and I decided that instead of watching Bill Murray relive Groundhog Day over and over and over again, we would live it for ourselves. We arrived in the quaint little town of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania around 11 pm February 1st and set up camp in the local community center; the $5 Crash Pad. Our luxury accommodations featured brightly striped bathrooms supplied with powdered borax soap and a distinct odor of elementary school, leaving me craving a Capri Sun and Ninja Turtle fruit snacks. Also featured were several halls of decrepit lockers which my then four-eyes and lunch money merited an immediate stuffing into by my comrades. The halls and floors were lined with people and sleeping bags of every size shape color and variety. We found a spot and tried to sleep for a few very short hours before waking up at 4 am to catch the bus to Gobblers Knob. We then spent the next several hours sitting in our lawn chairs, cheering for Phil, clutching our hand warmers and growing impatient while the temperature fluctuated between 11 and 15 degrees. At 6:30 am there was a fireworks show. At 7 the members of Phil's "Inner Circle" marched onto the stage to start the show. They tapped on Phil's door, pulled the little guy out of his cozy home and the president of the Inner Circle exchanged a few friendly words in "Groundhogese" with him. Then came time for his prediction. I was disappointed to learn that the whole "if he sees his shadow" is a crock. The sun isn't even up at that time! What they do is prepare 2 scrolls. One says "early spring" and the other "6 more weeks of winter." They put the little guy down and which ever scroll he walks towards becomes his prediction. As usual I decided my experience would be best expressed by poem.

I froze my butt off in Punxsutawney!

On February 2nd way before the dawn
People go to Gobbler's Knob and gather on the lawn.
They stand and wait in the frigid chill
And chant a name, Phil, Phil, Phil!
This year I decided to join the eager throng,
I even found myself singing the Groundhog Day song.
Excitement was thick in the cold air,
As Phil slept cozy in his groundhog lair.
We anxiously awaited his prognostication,
His weather prediction for the nation.
Will winter last for 6 more weeks?
I can't feel my toes, my nose or my cheeks.
Come on Phil! Come out of that hole!
Forget about your shadow just walk towards a scroll.
EARLY SPRING! Yea, Phil you're my hero!
Although a week later the temperature is zero.
I'm sure that cute fuzzy little critter wouldn't lie,
Although, I wouldn't put it past him. He is still a guy.

1 comment:

Mycket said...

I STILL MAINTAIN THAT IT WAS THE WORST IDEA WE EVER HAD. I will never, EVER do that again. What a scam.