Friday, September 26, 2008

Nova Scotia

I have 3 of the greatest friends in the world. The 4 of us make up a group we like the call The Little Truckers. We went on our first trip together over 3 years ago and since then we have decreed that we will take an ATTS (annual trip to somewhere) until we die. DIE! This year we went to Nova Scotia, eh. Why you ask. Why not? It was absolutely beautiful! Picturesque if you will. We went over Labor Day weekend and it was a perfect time of year to be there. In preparation of our ATTS we usually try to read a novel that takes place where we will be vacationing. If you haven’t guessed what novel we read already you are either A. a dude or B. missing out on one of literatures greatest treasures: Anne of Green Gables.

On our first day in Nova Scotia we took a Ferry to PEI (Prince Edward Island) and spent the day enjoying the beauty of the island and the Anne sites. We went first to Green Gables, the house and land that inspired L.M. Montgomery to write her story. It was like walking into the novel; Haunted Woods, Lake of Shining Waters, Barry’s Pond and all. Next we visited Avonlea Village, again stepping into the story. The village was set up with a school, houses, church, gardens, farm yard, shops, etc. The characters from the book roamed the streets and at select times during the day acted out scenes from the book. It was so fun! There was even a pig race. I fell in love with Gilbert Blythe. He was adorable. Lucky Anne! After our Anne fun we enjoyed one of the island’s specialties: lobster. It was delicious. In fact I couldn’t get enough. I bought a live one in the airport and took it home to DC for dinner.

Day two of our trip took us on an amazing drive through Cape Breton, but not before stopping and taking pictures at a random house whose lawn was littered with painted wooden cut-outs of EVERY Simpsons character. The drive around Cape Breton was stunning. Alexander Graham Bell once said, "I have seen the Canadian and the American Rockies, the Andes and the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland; but for simple beauty, Cape Breton out rivals them all." We spent most of they day ooohhhhing and aaahhhhing and taking pictures at scenic stops along the road. It was beautiful!

The third day of our trip was spent in Fort Louisbourg in the year 1744, when the French had command of the fort. I loved this place! Everyone was in period costume and played their parts so well. Visitors are allowed to walk all over the village and explore the buildings, restored and original, without supervision. I love Canada! We even had a typical meal that would’ve been served in 1744. As a genealogist and history nerd, I love this kinda thing. Living history is awesome. One day I aspire to take part in some sort of historical reenactment. One day.

Day four was spent exploring Halifax. We visited the Titanic section of a cemetery and the Halifax Maritime Museum which houses the largest collection of Titanic artifacts. After which we were obligated to listen to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On." Then we shopped around for some Canadian goodies to take home. Little did we know that the grocery stores were closed for Labor Day. Yeah were definitely not in the US.

Overall the trip was fantastic. If you get the chance to go to Nova Scotia DO IT!

4 comments:

Meg said...

What a perfect trip! I would love all those things as well. Anne of Green Gables is my absolute favorite. So fun!

Mycket said...

I am so glad that you are back and blogging. I need to use your memory to finish my blog updates.

Becky said...

HOW COOL! I'm so glad someone I know got to visit there! I especially love the pic of you dressed like Anne herself(right?) I'm living my worldy travels vicariously through you OK! Love and miss ya, Becky

Hayley's Comment said...

Oh how i miss those days in Nova Scotia!